Thursday, July 26, 2007

Day 16...I think!!

I seem to hav elost count of how many days now. I went back to my (paper and pen) journal and the last day I mentioned having a smoke was July 10th. So I guess that would make today 16 days. And let me tell you, it has been 16 days that have been both a blessing that I quit and a curse that I quit. Ever try to move your whole house in one day (I tend to be a procrastinator) and then when you go to get the UHaul there is no money on your Visa? That was last Monday...the 10th I think. There was no money on my Visa, so I go to hand them cash and they can't accept it "cuz it now wants a Visa card". At this point in the day I was so frustrated and angry. My man had a little breakdown that morning and wanted his space. So I was upset about that to start with. Then the whole UHaul mess. GRRR!! I grabbed a drink at the store and soooo wanted to tell them to throw in a pack of Marlboro Menthols!! But I fought it off. I managed to get through that whole day without a smoke. I was up until 1AM still moving stuff. The next day I got the last load. Now, I just gotta go through it all so my mom can find her garage!!lol

I finally got a night off last night. My BFF Missy took my kids for the night. God it was such a blessing. I needed it so badly. Because of my back I have pretty severe bouts with depression. Add not smoking, and my nerves were simply non-existent the last couple of days. In comes Missy to save my kids...lol So me and Ralph decided since the kids were gone, we would be too. Plus, I'm not allowed to stay at his house, my mom won't let him stay here. We got a room. We were gonna get a cabin for the night, but that didn't work out. (Ralph never needs his space for too long!!) I turned my cell phone off right after my kids called to tell me good night. Nobody but Missy knew where we were. It was so freaking nice!! Ralph broke his ankle a little more than a week ago, so I was playing nurse and gave him a sponge bath. In turn he ran me a bath with bubbles while I ran to get us some grub and drinks. He so sweet! I just wish he let that side show more often. But anyways... Ralph is a smoker. I managed to make it through the whole night without even desiring a smoke. If I'd have quit cold turkey I could promise you that I would have had a smoke last night. Chantix is really making this a lot easier on me. After seeing how strong I am, I'm pretty sure Ralph is going to take the Chantix road too. One more non-smoker. One less person supporting the mutli billion dollar tobacco industry!

I've noticed that my sense of smell and taste is coming back. It's so nice to eat something and *really* enjoy it for the taste!! I live in a pretty rural area and it's nice to smell the fresh air. The rain is such a sweet smell now. I always have loved the smell of fresh rain....but I had forgotten how good it really does smell. AH...I'm tasting and smelling life again!! :)

There's one side affect that has hit me the last week, and it is pretty bothersome. I have dry mouth. Sometimes my tongue will stick to the roof of my mouth. UCK!! So I went to the local Wal Mart and stocked up on some Jolly Ranchers and Life Savers. You know, when I was a kid life savers came in 5 flavors...cherry, pineapple, apple, lemon and orange. Now the have mango tangerine, grape, pina colada, and a few more that I can't remember the name of. Gee, how things have changed...lol

In leaving today, I hope that all of you fellow Chantix users have a good and smoke free day. And for those of you who used Chantix to get through the first few weeks but have now quit taking it...I also wish you a smoke free day.

Another day down....

8 comments:

maggie's mind said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and it's awesome to hear another person quitting smoking on Chantix and doing great! May I add a link to your blog on mine? Keep going!

~jaime~ said...

Of course you can add me to your list!! I want to be a part of this support group we seem to have formed here. It's so nice to know that you are not alone on this journey.

Lakasha said...

Congrats on Day 16 :)

Sounds like you have a lot going on in your world right now... so glad to hear things are going well for you.

Stan said...

I'm jealous. Lately, I've been fantasizing about living in a rural area (not really sure I could manage socially, but I won't know till I one day try). Whenever I get out of the smog that curtains my days in and out here in Los Angeles, I go dizzy on the beautiful smells of trees, grass, rain, dampness, farms... So you're blessed...

As for the dry mouth, it's one of the side effects they found in trials. I do not have it, but I use the toothpase Biotene (you can find it at most pharmacies or supermarkets here), which is specifically for dry mouth. I use it not for dry mouth per se, but for the fact that it doesn't have one ingredient that they put in 95% of other toothpastes since that ingredient is carcinogenic and is used in detergents for foaming. I love the way it feels, too. Maybe it'll help ur dry mouth?

Either way, good luck with everything! Just stick to the plan...

Chin Sink said...

Now this one is what I've been looking for. Would be giving you credits on the way how you deliver this great insight. Such an interesting story. marlboro filter plus

Anonymous said...

you are using a medicine to stop smoking? that's even worse than smoking... just go cold turkey.. all they want is to sell you a medicine and you're to dumb to to do it

Anonymous said...

Smoking for years and years is WAY worse than temporarily using a Quit Smoking aide like Chantix or whatever else you may choose.

I'm on Chantix now on Day #26. I have QUIT SMOKING now for 16 days. I'll only use the Chantix for only 1 month. I've been a smoker for 30 years, 10-15 cigs a day. I came to this site since I was looking for support on my Day 16 of quitting smoking.

Congratulations to anyone else out there that just made it to Quit Day #16. It is getting easier and I feel MUCH happier as a Non-Smoker. Cravings still come and go, but each day they are less and less. Once you get through ONE day of NO Cigarettes, you prove to yourself you can do it and you get stronger.

Sharon Izatt said...

I was just enjoying reading all the nice comments in support of Jaime as i am also on day 16, then to read the negative from "anonymous", what a let down. Congrats on day 16 and who cares how you got there and by what method,whatever it takes i say. I did the laser treatment and found it really helps with the cravings etc. Here's to the next 16 days.